Do you want to learn how to start a blog or learn the basics of blogging? Then this article is for you. In this article, you will learn how to start a blog for free. This article will show all that is needed to start blogging. Grab a drink and popcorn because this post is going to be a long one.
What is Blogging
The word Blogging has many definitions by different people on the web.
In simple terms, Blogging is a great way to inspire people and also share your knowledge with them. It is also a medium to provide solutions to people’s problems and answers to questions.
How To Start a Blog
How to start a blog isn’t rocket science, it is as easy as ABC. Anyone can learn how to start a blog for free as far as you can read and write. That’s the basic requirement to start blogging.
Starting a blog isn’t a problem at all, you can create a blog in 5 minutes. The big issue is maintaining and growing the blog. That stage is the hard part. Endurance, determination, and consistency are highly needed at this stage.
Many people have different reasons they want to start a blog. It could be for money, popularity, passion, etc. Whatever reason it is, it’s all good.
However, the best reason is to look for a problem and address it, I mean provide a solution to a problem. When you provide a solution to a problem, the reward can be fame, money, and so on. No wonder Zig Ziglar ( Motivational and Inspirational speaker and writer). says “The best way to go far in life is to help enough others get what they want. For example, one of the reasons for starting Ideapify is to show people how to earn online.
Now let’s go deeper on how to start a blog. Apart from reading and writing which is the basic requirement for blogging; you will need :
- A Blogging platform (CMS)
- A domain
- A Host
Let’s move on, let me elaborate on each of the above. Are you ready? Let’s Go!
When getting started to blog, the first thing that comes to every newbie is ‘What should I go into or blog about’ that is known as a niche. The answer to this question depends on a lot of factors.
In blogging, a niche is a central topic a writer will concentrate on. Every article will be related to that particular topic. For example, health is a type of blog niche. Therefore, the blog post that should be found on this type of blog includes:
- How to eat healthily
- Health benefits of pawpaw
- How to avoid diabetes
The list goes on and on. Do you understand my point? You can’t blog about health and write something like How to add music to Instagram stories. That’s not related at all. An example of a health niche blog is health line. You need to choose the right niche before you start a blog. What I mean by ‘right niche’ is a niche you can easily generate content. However, you can blog about more than one niche in a blog. Combining more than one niche in a blog is called multi-niche blogging and concentrating on one niche is called single-niche blogging.
Now, let’s talk about the blogging platform to use.
Best Free Blogging Platforms (CMS)
To start a blog, you will need a blogging platform. A blog platform is a tool that aids your words to be visible to readers. A blogging platform can also be known as CMS which is a Content Management System, it is where your writing, designing, and publishing of your blog is done. It is best if you choose WordPress.org as a blogging platform. It is the easiest platform to use.
Recommended>>> Best Free Blogging Sites to Use
What is the Best CMS Platform to Start a Blog?
From the list, WordPress is the most popular blogging platform to use. It is also the easiest platform to start blogging. Below are the reasons you should use WordPress:
- It is Simple and Easy to Use
- It has unlimited Themes and Plugins. Almost every function you want to carry out on WordPress has a plugin to use.
- It is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) friendly.
- It is well secured
- It supports all forms of media
- It has Apps Integrations
Another option is Blogger. Blogger is a blogging platform that is owned by the digital giant ”Google”. It is the best option to use if you want to start a blog for free.
A host is a server on which your blog depends; It makes your website accessible to other people on the web. A host is responsible for the safety of all your website files. There are lots of hosting companies to use, I recommend Bluehost because it is easy and very secure.
Note: Using a blogger doesn’t require paying for a host.
In a simple term, a domain is name used to identity a site and usually ends with .net, .com .org, .xyz, .co, etc.
Whichever platform you choose, you must get a domain and the niche you choose can determine what domain to use. In other words, it is important you choose a niche before getting a domain. A domain can be free or sold depending on the platform you choose to use. Free domains offered by these platforms usually come in the form of sub-domains. Examples of sub-domains include:
In blogging, a theme is a design or the layout of the blog. It can also be said to be how contents are arranged in a blog. There are free and premium themes. You can start a blog with a free theme if you don’t have the money to buy premium themes.
ThemeForest is the best site to buy a theme for your WordPress Site.
This is not quite very important but it’s necessary if you are creating a brand. It doesn’t cost much to acquire one. You can get a simple logo on Fiverr for a few bucks.
How To Start A Blog For Free
You have 2 options for creating a blog: using free services and registering your own domain.
Let’s start with the 1st one. What are its disadvantages?
- You will get the following site address: yourblog.blogspot.com, yourblog.wordpress.com, yourblog.wix.com. It’s not very pretty, is it? Of course, you can buy a more visual domain and connect it to your site, but you will have to pay money. At least for the domain, and sometimes even for the platform itself — for connecting.
- Restrictions on adding additional plugins, uploading photos and videos, changing their appearance, or creating an archive. Prepare for the fact that some of the brilliant ideas you will not be able to implement.
- The blog doesn’t belong to you. It will be placed on someone else’s web resource. And if the service owner complains about you, the blog can be deleted. Irrevocably. This is unpleasant.
On the other hand, free services are suitable for starting a writing career and testing your idea. Then you can transfer all the information to a brand-new site on your hosting and domain (Geniusmarketing.me)
You can start a blog without having any cash as far as you have an active internet connection. There are many CMS that offers free blogging services. They include:
We will show you how to start a blog for free on these blogging platforms.
How To Start A Blog For Free On Blogger
Blogger is owned by Google.
Firstly, you need a Gmail account to start blogging on blogger. If you don’t have a Gmail account, open one.
- Visit blogger.com
- Click on ‘Create your blog’
- Login with your Gmail account
- Insert the name of the blog you want to start
- Put the domain name and check if it’s available.
- Select any theme
- Lastly, click on ‘create blog’.
It’s as easy as it is being stated.
Note: Every domain that ends with ‘blogspot.com’ is a free blog on blogger.
How To Start A Blog For Free On WordPress
You just need an email ( Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc) to get started.
- Visit wordpress.com
- Click on ‘Get started’
- Sign up with your email or if you have a Gmail, use ‘continue with Google’ in order to get started.
- In the first box, but the title of the blog you want to start. In the second box, type what the blog will be about. Lastly, tick the necessary boxes and click on continue.
- Type the name of the blog and choose the free domain available.
- Lastly, pick the free plan
How To Start A Free Blog On Wix
- Visit wix.com
- Click on ‘Get started’
- Sign up with your email, Facebook account, or Gmail
- Answer some questions that will be asked of you. You skip the questions anyway.
- On the next page, you have two options to choose from; either to let Wix Create the Website for you or do it by yourself
- Select the type of site do you want to create and click next
- Type the domain name you wish to use and click next
- Then, pick a style you like to be on the blog and click continue. Wait for the setup to load.
- Pick your favorite homepage design
- Click Publish and then choose the domain name you want.
- Finally, click ‘Publish and Continue’
That’s all on how to start a blog for free on WordPress, blogger, and Wix.
Difference Between WordPress And Blogger
The difference between wordpress.com and blogger is, one is called a blogger and the other is called WordPress. That was lame , isn’t it?
Let’s get serious, there is not much difference between wordpress.com and blogger. If you are looking to make money from your free blog through Google Adsense, then blogger is the best choice for you. The free version of WordPress (wordpress.com) is a NO. You can read more on the differences between wordpress.com and blogger here.
Start A Blog Now
Do you want to start a blog right away? Do you need someone to do the hard work for you? We will set up a professional blog for you immediately. Contact us, let’s do all the hard work for you.
Can I Starting Blogging On My Phone
Yes, you can start and manage a blog with your phone but it is most convenient using Pc to blog. For an easier process, download the WordPress app and blogger app from Playstore.
How Much is Needed to Start a Blog
This depends on the type of blog you want to start. At least $40 will be enough to get the most important tools like domain and Hosting
How Long Does it Take to Start A Blog?
It takes less than 5 minutes to set up a blog. Then, it can take another few minutes in customizing the blog.
Can I Make Money With Free Blog?
Yes, you can through monetizing the blog with Google Adsense. However, the only free platform you can monetize is a blogger which is owned by Google.
If you enjoyed this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for WordPress blogging video tutorials and how to make money online.
If you have any questions, please leave us a comment. Also, If you think I missed a step or have any suggestions for us; please let us know. We’d love to hear from you!
Please subscribe to our youtube channel.
If you enjoyed this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for WordPress blogging video tutorials and how to make money online. If you have any questions, please leave us a comment. Also, If you think I missed a step or have any suggestions for us; please let us know. We'd love to hear from you!